Fall in Love with Wallpaper (Again)!
Wallpapers have made a strong comeback recently with fresh, innovative designs that can redefine or reinvent your home and business spaces. If you’ve been reluctant to incorporate this popular design element, perhaps it’s time to reconsider!
Types of Wall Covering
- Choose a medium like grasscloth to reconnect with nature or add texture in a room. Grasscloth is often made with the finest eco-chic grass, paper, and bamboo to provide dynamic texture.
- Printed wallpapers introduce an element of intrigue. From digital art to your own personal images, printed wallpapers offer endless possibilities to express yourself or your business. Large geometric designs make a bold statement whereas monochromatic pencil drawings can calm a room.
- Metallic wallpapers create a modern, contemporary look that illuminates a space with a subdued glow. A subtle metallic pattern and smooth finish is great for a minimalist or a textured pattern creates a more ethereal feel. I love using metallics when I want to add a touch of drama in a room!
- Fabric wall coverings are visually appealing in patterns or textural solid colors. They’re soft for an inviting touch, provide subtle dimension and are great for sound absorption.
- Temporary Wallcovering has grown in popularity among the younger demographic and is a great option for those who either can’t decide if they’re going to really like having wallpaper (true to its namesake, it’s temporary!) or for those desiring a DIY option. This is widely available to almost anyone- check out some great options on these sites.
Where to Use Them
- Bedroom accent wall – Choose the wall behind your headboard and dress it with wallpaper that makes a bold statement. This is a natural focal point in a room so make it really count with that perfect treatment!
- Powder room – I like warm, subtle elegance for powder rooms, almost as if it envelops you. Neutral tones and soft hues of blue are excellent color choices to evoke feelings of relaxation. Deep colors like navy, black or plum communicate a rich, dramatic feel.
- Commercial reception areas – If any area in an office gets noticed, it’s the reception lobby. What a perfect place to visually communicate the tone of your business and make that vital first impression. Why not pull out all the stops and use a “wow” wallpaper? If the establishment is more creative and casual, perhaps play with fun colors and quirky patterns. However, if the company is more formal and refined, get creative with tailored, sophisticated wallpapers that enhance the brand image.
- Calculate the amount of wallpaper needed
- Properly prep the wall
- Pattern match where the seams of the wallpaper come together
- Conceal seams when using dark colors or heavy textures
- Work in the proper climate, with the proper tools