For 2019, black is indeed the new black. The dark and luxurious tone is a staple color for fashionistas — but as we head into 2019 it is making a major comeback in home décor as well.
So, why is it that so many people are drawn to this sinister, sophisticated and mysterious color? Not only is it a true neutral that plays well with others (it’s an easy mix-and-match with other colors in your home and wardrobe) but it also looks great when paired with fun textures and patterns.
However, it’s important to know the best ways to incorporate this chic color into your home décor before you cross over to the dark side. Here are some of my favorite ways to make black your must-have home hue for 2019:
- Less is More: Remember that tried and true advice from your Mom: less is (absolutely) more. A room that is dominated by black may be too dark and utterly gloomy. If you choose a black tone for your walls, brighten up the space with your accent pieces, or vice versa. Opposites attract in home design, too.
- Bring on the Texture: Black is an excellent choice for home accessories, and can look especially rich when used in posh fabrics like velvet, faux fur, textured wallpaper, suede and even silk crepe.
- Paint it Black: Black walls can make a bold and sophisticated statement in your home — just don’t overdo it. I love to incorporate a black wall as a focal point, unexpected ceiling color or even paired with ornate wallpaper in a powder room. Mixed-and-matched with a contrast color, such as white, this bold look becomes a classic choice.
- Make a Bold Statement with Accents: Black artwork is a bold choice that is a fabulous option for focal point art in your favorite room. I like to either incorporate one major piece or create a gallery-inspired wall of black and white art. I also love to use black for throw pillows and blankets, photo frames, planters, rugs and even accent tables and chairs.
- Mix and Match: There’s no easier way to make black work in your home than to pair it with contrast neutrals like white, taupe, light gray or blush. It’s a modern-chic look that’s showing no signs of slowing down as we head into 2019. Looking for more fun color pairings? Try rich, jewel-toned accents to create a romantic, Asian-inspired vibe.
As Wednesday Addams says, “I’ll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.” Sometimes I feel the same way about this luxe choice for home décor! Need a little extra help incorporating it into your home design? I’m here to help!
Other Design Inspiration Articles
Rattan has long been used in furniture due to its flexibility, durability, and ability to regenerate in 5-7 years, which is quicker than many other natural elements. In the past few years, we’ve seen rattan venture out to so many categories, including indoor and outdoor decor, furnishings, rugs, and more!
Spring is a great season for pastel tones grounded with neutral whites, creams, and sandy colors. This season we’ve selected fabrics and tones that bring us right back to our favorite beaches.
When building or renovating your home, a great way to open up your kitchen is to ensure there are windows strategically placed near or in the kitchen. An open-concept design with high or vaulted ceilings can allow light to travel better through your space, maximizing natural light!