It’s easy to get stuck in a Christmas tree rut like in the image above. We often use the same decorations year after year — and the same old string of lights, tree skirt and topper.
Why not shake things up with a modern holiday theme that will breathe new life into your holiday décor centerpiece? I’ve compiled a list of five fun and on-trend tree themes that will take your holiday décor from ho-hum expected to ooh-la-la exceptional.
1. Celebrate a Color: I love to choose one color and stick to it for a striking holiday statement. Literally any color will work as a tree theme — just pick your favorite and follow it through from top to bottom. From the ornaments and topper to lights, tinsel, skirt and sometimes even the tree itself, there’s nothing more bold and beautiful than a monochromatic Christmas tree. This season, I am loving subtle blush pink, bright white, Tiffany blue and deep burgundy as monochromatic tree themes — but with this theme it’s all about choosing your own color adventure!
2. Bring a City to Life: We all have a favorite city that conjures images of special memories — or memories to come. Why not bring that special city to life on your Christmas tree? From New York to Paris, London and even tropical destinations like Rio or Barcelona, there are myriad ways to make your tree say “bonjour” or “hola” to all of your guests. Ornaments that represent that city are an easy way to create a city tree but I also love to be inspired by the architecture and culture of a city to create a tree. You can frame mini city images and hang them on the tree, or even create a color theme that speaks to the vibe of that city. The options are endless, and the results — breathless.
3. Add a Bit of Whimsy: Whimsical trees have always been a favorite of mine. I love the idea of playing with proportion with the ornaments and getting cheeky with the holiday. Movies like “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” are great inspirations for trees like this, which often feature large candy ornaments, striped ribbon as garland, an oversized topper and a pop-of-color or printed tree skirt. For a major statement of whimsy, hang your tree upside down in the Polish tradition!
4. Go Shabby Chic: Who knew Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree would end up being a chic statement in 2017? It’s true —the classic, shabby chic, slightly bare tree is popping up in posh holiday décor themes everywhere this season. The best part? It’s inexpensive and oh-so easy to create! Simply choose a delicate faux tree; they are available in a range of colors and sizes. Then, add just a few sporadic ornaments (I like simple balls or snowflakes) and a touch of tinsel. Then, I love to add beaded garland to complete the shabby chic vibe. So cute!
5. Make a Metallic Statement: Who doesn’t want a tree that shimmers and shines for the holidays? From bold gold to sassy silver, delicate rose gold and crisp copper, there’s a metallic theme to fit any shine-lover’s style. This is a fun one for getting creative, as homemade glitter and sequin ornaments are the perfect fit for this tree theme. Like the colored theme I mention above, it’s all about keeping the look monochromatic for maximum impact. And don’t be afraid to layer on the metallic accents, from tinsel to beaded garland, tinsel, ribbon and everything else that adds a little sparkle.
No matter how you decorate your tree, make sure it’s a reflection of your style. After all, who doesn’t want to gaze lovingly at their tree with a genuine smile all December long?
Let’s Make Your Dream Project a Reality!
Schedule a consult for your next home or commercial interior design project today!
"*" indicates required fields
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Get interior design inspiration and tips delivered straight to your inbox.
"*" indicates required fields
What’s Your Design Style?
5 Simple Ways to Renew and Refresh the Interior of Your Home
Tips for Designing the Perfect Home Office or Study