The color gray is having a major moment. Do you love it as much as I do? If not, I bet you just haven’t been introduced to the right shade yet.
There’s more to gray than just that flat battleship color from your childhood crayon box. This hue ranges from warm to cool and from the palest whisper to deep charcoal, so there’s sure to be one that works in your home.
Great Shades of Gray for Your Home’s Many Moods
Before you choose a gray, decide if you’re looking for something on the cool end of the spectrum with blue or lavender undertones, or if you’d prefer something warmer, like taupe or “greige.”
Cool Gray Tones
- Benjamin Moore Horizon: This pale gray has a hint of blue-green that makes it a crisp companion for white. It looks amazing with marble!
- Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray: This is a medium gray that’s completely clean—no beige in this one! It’s a good mid-range tone for rooms with southern exposure.
- Benjamin Moore Gray Pinstripe: This is a very rich, masculine gray with blue undertones. It makes a bold statement in a bedroom or study.
Warm Gray Tones
- Sherwin Williams City Loft: This is a beautiful pale taupe-gray that will brighten any space. I love it as a way to warm up a north-facing room.
- Sherwin Williams Colonnade Gray: This warm greige blends well with all kinds of neutrals. It’s the perfect medium shade for just about any room.
- Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray: This shade is deep and sophisticated, but with plenty of warmth. It’s equally beautiful on walls or for trim and cabinets.
Here are each of those gorgeous colors courtesy of Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. Click to enlarge the image:
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Shade of Gray
I certainly love all of these paint colors, but the only way to make sure you do is to see them in your space. A paint chip might not be big enough to determine how the light affects the color, so purchase a small sample size, and paint a piece of foam core board to hang in your room. Check the color at different times of day to make sure you like it all lighting situations.
Still not sure about that shade of gray? Talk to us! We offer on-site interior design consultations for this very reason. A professional eye can help you make great color combinations that are guaranteed to look gorgeous in your home.